|Derek Haylock||Education Consultant|
|© 2010||432 pages||SAGE Publications Ltd|
|Paperback & eBook||ISBN:||9780857027887||£29.99|
This Fourth Edition of Derek Haylock's much loved textbook has been fully revised and restructured to match the current Attainment Targets for mathematics in England. Every chapter is written in a way that integrates children’s learning, classroom practice and the teacher’s own requirements for subject knowledge, making this the ideal text for primary PGCE courses.
Some of the changes in the new edition include:
- two new chapters on mathematics in the primary curriculum and learning to learn mathematics
- more prominence given to using and applying mathematics
- sections matching the attainment targets for mathematics
- more learning and teaching points highlighted throughout the text
- further material on number, risk, use of ICT, graphs and data-handling.
- a research focus in every chapter.
The companion website (www.sagepub.co.uk/haylock) provides a glossary and additional material to enable primary trainees to prepare with confidence for the ITT Numeracy test, and provides details of how each chapter of the book is linked to the National Curriculum. This will be updated to reflect any updates to the National Curriculum as they are introduced.
Extensively used on primary PGCE courses and undergraduate courses leading to QTS, this bestselling book is an essential resource for all trainee primary teachers.
A companion Student Workbook is also available, which:
- provides self-assessment activities for students to check their understanding of key concepts
- helps students to practise key mathematical processes and to apply mathematics in real-life situations
- gives opportunities to apply their knowledge to teaching and learning.