|Jackie Marsh||University of Sheffield|
|Elaine Hallet||Institute of Education, University of London|
|© 2009||288 pages||SAGE Publications Ltd|
Published in Association with United Kingdom Literacy Association
This second edition is updated to take into account important developments in research, policy and practice, and now covers the 0-8 age range. It also addresses developments in new media and the impact this has upon literacy in young children, and offers chapters on new areas which have emerged in recent years, such as multimodality, media literacy, creative arts and literacy.
Explored in the book are:
- the relationship between play and literacy;
- the role environmental print has in early literacy development;
- the language and literacy development of young bilinguals;
- ideas, suggestions and justifications for the use of poetry;
- a two-year research project, funded by Creative Partnerships; and
- key issues relating to family literacy.